Welcome to Week XXIII
of the Columbia Citizens' WikLi
|The Wikli is an informal e-flyer with news for neighbors. Anyone can contribute, and anyone can edit.
||Subscribe to the Wikli. You'll get one email per week.
- Rainier Valley Growers' Co-op (Thu),
- a writers' group (Thu),
- storytime and bilingual Play & Learn (Fri),
- kickoff for a neighborhood running group (Sat),
- classes at Columbia City Fitness (Sat, Tue),
- a Time Capsule party in Hillman City (Sat),
- a neighborhood brunch (Sun),
- Friends of the Farmers Market (Tue),
- the CC Business Assn (Tue),
- Hillman City Business Assn (Wed),
- Evening book group (Wed),
- Crime Prevention Council (Wed),
- and Citizens post more events all the time!
In the calendar, you can click through to each event's online information.
If a local event is missing, please send a Citizen's alert.
- This week the library offers storytime on Friday at 10:30am and bilingual play & Learn with the staff of Neighborhood House from 11:30-1:00.
- Mark your calendars for next week's Family Night on Thursday, February 7 from 6:30-7:30 pm. Suitable for kids from birth to 12 and their families, we will have some stories and crafts. We will make folding books, fabric hearts stuffed with lavender, and paper flowers. We will also have the dollhouse available.
- The library offers free tax preparation on Tuesday evenings beginning in February. Call 386-1908 or come by the library to make an appointment!
|Columbia City Theater is Seattle's oldest historic Vaudeville Theater, complete with recording studio & Hendrix Electric Lounge.
- Wed — live music by Jeff Kanzler in Lounge, 8pm, no cover,
- Thu — Certain Inertia with 2 Guest Bands, 8pm, $5 door,
- Thu — Live Music by Dr. Richard Kimball & The Fugitives in Lounge, 8pm, no cover,
- Fri — The Comedy Shop (nationally recognized comedians), 10:30pm, $10 adv/door,
- Fri — Infinity’s Neo-Soul Lounge (open mic, poetry/spoken word) in Lounge, 8:30pm, no cover,
- Fri — The Marquis 1000 in Lounge, 10pm, no cover,
- Sat — Show Brazil Presents: Brazilian Carnaval 2008 — 14th Annual Mardi Gras, 21+ only, 9pm, $18 adv/door,
- Sat — live music by Libre in Lounge, 10pm, no cover,
- Tue — Jill Scott “After Party” w/Chocolate & Raheem Devaughn, 21+ only, 9pm, $10 adv/door,
- Tue — live music by Glenn Bell in Lounge, 8pm, no cover,
note: advance tickets through brownpapertickets.com
Hillman City Time Capsule Party
Saturday, February 2nd, 10 am - noon
Rainier Avenue Church, 5900 Rainier Ave S
Come see the items we've gathered so far: the amazing glass slipper, the model Hummer, the spinning hubcap belt buckle… and so much more! Plus photographs of Hillman City by our Youth in Focus teen photographer: not to be missed!
This is also your last chance to contribute items to the time capsule. We are accepting objects, photos, and documents that represent Hillman City's past & present, or messages for the future.
Coffee, Cake, and Snacks donated by Starbucks, Borracchini's, and Lola's South City Bakery: Thank You All!
The Hillman City Time Capsule will be installed at the Rainier Avenue Church later this year, and opened in 2057. The Time Capsule is a project of the Rainier Valley Historical Society and the Hillman City Business Association, with support from the Mayor's Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs and the Department of Neighborhoods. For more information please contact RVHS at 723-1663 or moc.loa|eciffoshvr#moc.loa|eciffoshvr.
|Started by a few close friends (who also happen to be Columbia City neighbors) C-City Runners was created out of a need for a low-key and highly social running club with a focus on enjoying the experience of running. A running club where being competitive with yourself is encouraged, but where anyone who has a passion for running or an interest in getting started would find a supportive and welcoming crowd.
Our first group run is scheduled for Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 8:00 AM. Meet in front of the Columbia City Bakery. Find out more.
No news is … no news.
Columbia Citizens' posts
Columbia Citizens wiki-updates:
|Columbia Citizens' welcome page now highlights the site's featured updates.
|The source text for the Wikli is now simplified and decluttered, making it easier for wiki-newbies to post neighbor alerts.
|Cleaned up the land use page for Harbor Properties’ proposed development at the St Gobain site. Now you can download a copy of Harbor’s Early Design packet, presented back in October.
Trying to edit this Wiki?
This Wikli's content is now fixed, but anyone can post to the next one.