Live locally. Consult your community calendar
- Healthy & Active Rainier Valley Coalition (Wed),
- a gardeners' cooperative (Wed),
- the Christmas ships (Wed),
- Drinking Liberally (Wed),
- bilingual Play & Learn (Fri 21st & 28th),
- solstice caroling (Sat),
- guys' night out (Sat),
- evening book group (Wed 2nd)
- Big Night Out (Wed 2nd)
- and Citizens post more events all the time!
Columbia City Theater is Seattle's oldest historic Vaudeville theater, complete with a recording studio and the Hendrix Electric Lounge. We're now booking events for 2008! So, whether you enjoy catching a show or are looking for the perfect place to host one, give us a try!
- Fri, Dec 21 — Columbia City Cabaret, hosted by Tamara the Trapeze Lady, 8pm, $20 adv, $25 door;
- Fri — Marquis 1000 in Lounge, 9pm, free;
- Sat, Dec 22 — X-Mas X-travaganza with Guardian Alien & other musical guests, 9pm, $5 DOS;
- Sat — EGO BAND USA in Lounge, 10pm, free;
- Happy Holidays! (closed the 24th & 25th)
- Thu, Dec 27 — Dr. Richard Kimball & The Fugitives in Lounge, 8pm, $5 suggested donation;
- Fri, Dec 28 — Columbia City Cabaret, hosted by Tamara the Trapeze Lady, 8pm, $20 adv, $25 door;
- Fri — Marquis 1000 in Lounge, 9pm, free
- Sat, Dec 29 — Baby Bok Choy in Lounge, 10pm, free
Note: you can get advance tickets through brownpapertickets.com.
Hello! Our meeting is today, Wednesday, 12/19/07, 1:00 to 2:30 at the Rainier Community Center. We will begin looking at health policies for the valley and how to advocate for these issues. We'll also hear about three new grant proposals and vote on funding.
All are welcome to participate in these meetings. I will post updates periodically, so if you can't come to the meetings please feel free to post comments or email. Thanks.
Seward Park playground project
Please join a group of community members working to create a phenomenal playground at Seward Park. The time is ripe with the current play structure in disrepair, the Audubon Center's opening in 2008, and an influx of small children to our neighborhood in need of a special and safe place to play!
We're writing a grant and creating an outreach plan to involve the community in the process. Please consider getting involved. Please pass this message on to others who might be interested too. Contact 281-8655, or email ten.tsacmoc|aruamnekim#ten.tsacmoc|aruamnekim.
DPD delivers Design Recommendations for Eagle Rock Ventures
DPD recently mailed its Design Recommendations report for a four-story mixed use project with about 60 residences at 5201 Rainier Ave S. This follows up from the Early Design Guidance delivered months earlier. Here's an April 2007 P-I article about it.
The design changed markedly in response to public input and direction from the Design Review Board. You too could influence new development in Columbia City.
Come join your neighbors to sing in the lengthening days on the (2nd) longest night of the year!
Our 1st Annual Solstice Caroling event will start at 5pm on December 22 at 4834 S Brandon St with hot chocolate. We'll then walk to Columbia City, singing as we go. You don't have to have a wonderful voice, just a willingness to have fun and sing.
Bring candles/candle lanterns to light our way. I'll provide a song booklet, which will include songs like Dona Nobis Pacem, Oh Solstice Tree, Jingle Bells, and Let Us Have Songs. We'll also have a bicycle pedicab available for people who would like to rest for a block or two before continuing to walk.
Please let me know if you would like to join us, OR if you would like us to come and serenade your house :) Contact 841-6538 for more info and to sign up!
Take a look at Columbia Citizens' neighborhood nonprofits page.
Our neighborhood has several strong local organizations, made stronger by your support. Please consider including them in your year-end giving.
Amazon has put together a poll of the Top 'Hip' Neighborhoods to Live in Seattle and Columbia City is currently in… 13th place?? Show your love for the 'hood!
New Dream Circle Starting!
Right here in Columbia City on alternate Tuesdays, January 15-March 25, 7-9:30pm.
- Share your dreams and receive their healing messages.
- Find out how to remember more of your dreams.
- Learn to recognize the spirit allies and ancestors who come to you in dreams.
- Experience the deep connections that come when we share dreams in a circle.
The first session includes an introduction to shamanic dream traditions. Facilitated by June BlueSpruce, shamanic dreamer and healer. $165 for 6 sessions. For more information, call 579-1203 or go to my website.
Retroactive Kids Men's Night Out
Saturday, December 22nd, 6-9pm
Come join the owners' husbands, Felix and Dwight, as they work the late shift. You can shop, watch sports projected on the wall, drink root beer and eat peanuts. All this and have your presents wrapped. FREE!!! Not only do we have a great selection of toys, we also have cool stuff for women too. Call if you have questions. 932-3154 http://www.retroactivekids.com/blog.html
Columbia City in the blogossiphere
- Tutta Bella makes pizza like God intended.
Columbia Citizens' posts
- Needle novices naturally get the nod in neighbors' new knitting network.
- CCCC: not a nice place to be
- CCCC: Robert's Rules reputedly restrain random rants.
- holiday crime prevention
- Fulfill your furniture fantasies fast — find a few fab, fiscally frugal fine furnishings from friendly folks.
- Hillman City Business Association is looking for Citizen input. Share yours with them.
Columbia Citizens wiki-updates:
|Citoyens: quien veut rencontrer des voisins francophones? Voici votre endroit sur la toile.|
|The Citizens' Wikli now has its very own drop-down menu in Columbia Citizens top bar. Now it's easy to browse those back issues you somehow missed!|
|New photos in the Citizens' gallery. Share yours!|| Cannot fetch Flickr photo (id: 2114461247). The photo either does not exist, or is private
House Lights by beeslesr
Light display by Jeff Bates
Trying to edit this WikLi?
This Wikli's content is now fixed, but anyone can post to the next one.
Get your WikLi fix
Subscribe to the Wikli, Columbia Citizens' neighbor news. You'll get one email per week.