Live locally. Consult your community calendar
- a new community group: Sustainable South Seattle (Wed),
- bilingual playtime at the library (Fri),
- the Landmark District Review Committee (Fri),
- a community square dance in Lakewood (Fri),
- a holiday music celebration and Santa in the business district (Sat),
- a party with a cause at Starbucks (Sat),
- a theatrical reading at RVCC (Sat),
- the Columbia City Community Council (Mon),
- Healthy & Active Rainier Valley Coalition (Wed),
- Rainier Valley Growers' Cooperative, an exploratory meeting (Wed),
- a Christmas ship performance (Wed),
- Drinking Liberally (Wed),
- and more events turn up all the time!
Check out some of my favorite books on the Children's Page of the SPL website!
Multilingual Play and Learn continues this Friday from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm for children from birth to age 5 and their grownups. Teachers this week speak English and Chinese! The Spanish speaking teacher is on vacation.
Storytimes are on hiatus until Friday, January 18 at 10:30.
Columbia City Theater is Seattle's oldest historic Vaudeville Theater, complete with a recording studio and the Hendrix Electric Lounge. We're now booking events for 2008! So, whether you enjoy catching a show or are looking for the perfect place to host one, give us a try!
- Wed — Toys for Tatas, a burlesque benefit show, 8pm, $15 adv, $20 door;
- Wed — Origin Jazz records presents Doug Miller & Phil Parasot, 8pm, $5 suggested donation;
- Thurs — Live music by Dr. Richard Kimball & The Fugitives in Lounge, 8pm, $5 suggested donation;
- Fri — Columbia City Cabaret, hosted by Tamara the Trapeze Lady, 8pm, $20 adv, $25 door;
- Fri — Marquis 1000 in Lounge, 9pm, free;
- Sat — Musica Entertainment & Union Gospel Mission present Frosty the Snowman; Michael Powers & Lenard Jones, coat & blanket drive, 10:30am-1pm, $10 adult, $7 student/military, $5 children;
- Sat — Broadway Bound Children's Theater, Full on Fosse, 7pm, $15 adv & door;
- Sat — Live music by PGM Trio in Lounge, free;
- Sun — Broadway Bound Children's Theater, Full on Fosse, 2pm matinee, $15 adv & door;
- Mon — Karaoke in Lounge, 9pm, free;
- Tues — Live music by Jeff Janis in Lounge, 8pm, $5 suggested donation.
Note: you can get advance tickets through brownpapertickets.com.
Columbia City Community Council
CCCC meets December 17 at 6pm. We'll be at 5211 37th Ave, Rukh and Jeff's House. We are still getting this group going, hence we are having meetings every two weeks (the library provides a meeting space to groups once per month). It seems that Sally Clark will be on hand to answer questions about Neighborhood Associations. See CCCC's wiki-page for notes from last meeting. Please read the proposed bylaws — your comments are appreciated.
Rainier Valley Growers' Co-operative, exploratory meeting
Do you garden? Do you want to garden? Would you sell/buy produce from a community stand? Come explore those ideas and more. Take a look at the flyer.
when: Wednesday, December 19th, 6:30-7:30pm
where: Columbia Library meeting room
questions: contact Katherine at gro.dnuorg-dilos|cenirehtak#gro.dnuorg-dilos|cenirehtak or 694.6791
Columbia Citizens benefit from the effective hard work of many community organizations. As you complete your year-end giving, please include one or more of our neighborhood nonprofits in your plans. Thank you.
Starbucks Cheer Party
This Saturday, December 15 from 6 to 8 pm, help Columbia City Starbucks Pass the Cheer!
Bring a new, unwrapped toy and get a raffle ticket for some fabulous prizes donated by some of your favorite Columbia City merchants! All toys will be donated to the Starlight Starbright Children's Foundation of Washington to bring cheer to children with life-threatening illnesses and their families. Enjoy free delicious munchies provided by local restaurants and holiday beverage samples from Starbucks. Bring your kids to see Santa!
Also, this Saturday and Sunday from 9 am to 4 pm, the Starbucks Black Partner Network will be in store wrapping your Starbucks gift purchases for free!
For further details or any questions, please contact us at 721-8871.
Columbia City in the news
- Bull Stewart's power-lifting team is something incredible.
- Columbia City is the Times' neighborhood of the week, with quotable insights from lots of neighbors.
- And this warm image of winter cheer
… all in news.
Columbia City in the blogossiphere
- Capt CC sets his sights on Seattle's somewhat segmented and sketchy city sidewalk situation.
- Sewered Park — the Admiral decides to stick to shore for awhile.
- This blogger is bemused and bedazzled by Jeff & Sandi's bounteous bulb bonanza.
Columbia Citizens' posts
- As Che might have said, had he the good fortune to visit: ¡hasta Villa Victoria siempre!
- More from a coyote devotee
- A Citizen has a mind to mentor.
- CCCC — what's in a name
- CCCC — Citizen feedback
- Lola's is hiring.
- Deck your halls with free, local, neighborly trimmings.
Columbia Citizens wiki-updates:
|MissJenn has spruced up the Wikli archives. Doesn’t it look great?|
|Citizen John Hoole has linked to his thoroughly amusing blog, in neighbors.|
|So many expressive new photos in the Citizens' gallery. If May is just too far off, maybe these images will help pull you through. Please share yours!|
Trying to edit this WikLi?
This Wikli's content is now fixed, but anyone can post to the next one.
Get your WikLi fix
Subscribe to the Wikli, Columbia Citizens' neighbor news. You'll get one email per week.