|Columbia City's Neighbor News|
Welcome to Week XIV
of the Columbia Citizens' WikLi
|The Wikli is an informal e-flyer containing alerts and messages of interest to Columbia City neighbors. Anyone can contribute, and anyone can edit.||Subscribe to the Wikli, Columbia Citizens' neighbor news. You'll get one email per week.|
|Past — there's a Wikli archives,
Current — the next Wikli is taking shape,
Future — to reserve a post in a future Wikli, use the Wikli tickler.
Live locally. Consult your community calendar
- Healthy & Active Rainier Valley Coalition (Wed),
- A play at the Rainier Valley Cultural Center (Thu),
- A community square dance (Fri),
- Events at Columbia City Theater (all week),
It's a short list… as if the neighborhood is taking a deep breath before the holiday season.
Have a happy Thanksgiving.
Happy Thanksgiving time to everyone! There will be no children's programs this week. The Bilingual Play and Learn program will resume next Friday 11:30 am-1:00 pm. Storytimes are over for 2007 and will return at 10:30 am on Friday, January 11!
Check out our display in the historic room for stories and idea books for Thanksgiving, harvest, manners and more. After Thanksgiving the display will change to books for winter and winter holidays.
Columbia City Theater hosts a variety of events, from burlesque, live music & comedy to private parties/meetings. We're now booking events for 2008. So whether you enjoy catching a show or are looking for the perfect place to host one, give us a try!.
- Wed — Origin Jazz Records presents More Zero, 8pm, $5 suggested donation;
- Wed — Nth Degree Creative presents Burn the Turkey with Geoffrey Castle, 9pm, $10;
- Fri — Columbia City Cabaret, hosted by Tamara the Trapeze Lady, 8pm, $20 advance, $25 door;
- Fri — Cabaret Craft Market (7pm-12am);
- Fri — Marquis 1000, 9pm, free;
- Sat — The Atomic Bombshells Burlesque!, 9pm, $20 advance, $22 door;
- Sat — Baby Bok Choy, 10pm, free;
- Sun — Seattle Hempfest Benefit: A Hit 4 Victory with Herbivores, The Cause, and Olivia DeLaCruz, 7pm, $10.
ARTIQUE at the Gallery
Columbia City Gallery opened its annual "Artique" gift gallery Wed, Nov 13, with many new handmade items by artists from around the Sound. Come see our latest collections with an eye toward holiday gift giving. Open Wed-Sat 12-8 and Sundays 10-6.
Never a dull moment at the Rainier Valley Historical Society
There we were, staff and volunteers, sitting around our office at the RVHS last Thursday, when suddenly the street outside was filled with the throbbing roar and flashing lights of a fire engine…
Moments later our office was filled with four handsome young firefighters in uniform. They had come from Station 28 in Hillman City to deliver their Seattle Firefighters Pipes & Drums commemorative patch, which features "Garlicman" playing the bagpipes.
Next Meeting: December 3 from 6:00 to 7:45 PM at the Columbia City Library
We're continuing to work on forming a neighborhood organization and we hope you can come! We need your voice, ideas, and energy.
Columbia City in the blogossiphere
The Captain's been busy:
- This neighbor's blog has shifted into high gear.
- Theater Simple is podcasting its Park Bench series, including two Columbia City events.
- New photos of new light rail improvements.
- Miscellanea from the cinema's lost and found.
Columbia Citizens' posts
- for $10 and other considerations...
- Some very grinch-like behavior.
- HCBA has better things to do.
- Full Circle Farm gets another thumbs-up for its CSA dropoff service.
- A college-student babysitter.
- Can you pass up this Passat?
- Dishes for sale.
The Wikli has gone spam-free, cold-turkey.
Lots of Citizens get Wikli alerts emailed directly. You can too.
If you'd like to keep getting your Wikli fix, just send an email to opt in.
Columbia Citizens wiki-updates:
|Now you can search Columbia Citizens by page tags, a cool way to scan the site's overall content and its most popular themes. Try it out!|
|Organized site "categories" for local groups, like the Columbia City Community Council and the Gateway Project. For visitors browsing the site, there's no visible difference. For a neighborhood group, categories make it easier to build and moderate your very own piece of Columbia Citizens.|
|Refugee Women's Alliance and Horn of Africa Services have both posted volunteer opportunities for youth tutoring and intercultural mentorship.|
|Mary Coss has added a website of her artwork, in neighbors.|
|New photos in the Citizens' gallery. Share yours!||
Trying to edit this WikLi?
This Wikli's content is now fixed, but anyone can post to the next one.
Get your WikLi fix
Subscribe to the Wikli, Columbia Citizens' neighbor news. You'll get one email per week.