debate for beginners workshop
A hands-on workshop for opinionated people! Improve your skills as a social advocate and work out your public speaking jitters in a friendly environment with experienced coaches.
Public Speaking Workshop for Opinionated People!
Want to improve your speaking and listening skills as a social advocate? Feel nervous talking about controversial subjects in front of people you know, or don't know? Come work out your public speaking jitters with hands-on practice in a friendly environment.
Saturday, July 9, 11am - 4pm
New Freeway Hall
5018 Rainier Ave S
After taking the workshop on the road to Portland, it's back in Seattle.
Please check it out…and then call to reserve your spot.
$20 fee includes lunch and printed materials
We will focus specifically on articulating political issues and opinions on the spot, with emphasis on audience-oriented, jargon-free speech and honing individual style and manner for maximum effectiveness — and fun! Group interaction and feedback is highly encouraged, with opportunities for individuals to practice giving speeches on different political and current events topics throughout the workshop. Everyone is welcome.
Outcomes for attendees will include:
- Bolstered personal confidence in your ideas and political expression
- Heightened critical thinking and listening skills
- Awareness of ones own non-verbal cues, “verbal vomit” habits, and other tics that come up under pressure of public speaking – and strategies for working past them
- Tools for effective argument construction
- Greater personal style, wit, persuasiveness, and candor in everyday speaking, which will be applicable to interpersonal interactions outside the workshop, speaking to the media, leading political protests and rallies, and more.
Event coordinators: Bryan Fabert and Devin McDonnell are experienced British Parliamentary/Worlds debaters and coaches who worked with the Humboldt State University Speech and Debate team for four and two years, respectively.
Our goal is to build leadership among the left in publicly representing radical, socialist, and feminist political thought in a way that inspires and informs others, calls people into unified action, and cultivates the leadership of those not yet politically active.
Come join us! Funds raised will benefit the Freedom Socialist Party.
Please call or email to reserve your seat in the workshop. Call Margaret at 883-3053 or Devin at 313-2659 or email moc.gnirpsdnim|elttaesPSF#moc.gnirpsdnim|elttaesPSF.
Comment on this item
|post your own Wikli item|