South Precinct Email Community Newsletter
January 17, 2008
Dear Community Friends:
South Precinct Grows
Welcome to 2008. With the New Year comes other change. Effective January 9, 2008, the South Precinct area of responsibility increased. The precinct boundaries have expanded to include Georgetown and part of the SODO area. With the expansion of the Precinct boundaries and the inclusion of those communities, we’ve also realigned our patrol sectors and beats. The attached map shows the new patrol sectors and the Community Police Team officers areas of assignment.
These changes are a result of the Neighborhoods Policing Initiative. In sum, the goals of the initiative are:
• To make officers available at the times and on the days when they are most needed.
• Faster response times and ability to do more proactive problem solving.
• A more balanced, flexible and effective deployment of patrol officers
Specific priorities for South Precinct include special emphasis patrols along the Rainier corridor, youth and gang related activities, and Georgetown weekend emphasis to address early morning property crimes.
Community Police Team
Community Police Team (CPT) is a separate unit of officers in each Precinct that works on long term, on-going public safety issues. The Precinct realignment affects the areas of responsibilities for the CPT officers that serve you. Please see the attached map for the CPT officer areas of assignment.
Your South Precinct Community Police Team Officers.
• Mike Alphin is the point of contact for concerns in the New Holly and Brighton neighborhoods.
• Gary Davenport works specifically with Seattle Housing Authority high-rise properties. These include Barton Place, Center Park and Beacon Tower. 233-1545, vog.elttaes|tropnevad.yrag#vog.elttaes|tropnevad.yrag
• Ed Haynes covers the northern half of Beacon Hill. 233-2023, vog.elttaes|senyah.de#vog.elttaes|senyah.de
• Don Jones has Mount Baker, Genesee, Columbia City/Hillman City and the Lakewood/Seward Park communities. 233-1548, vog.elttaes|senoj.dlanod#vog.elttaes|senoj.dlanod
• Craig “CJ” McRae, serves the Rainier Beach, upper Rainier Beach and Rainier View neighborhoods.
• Sylvia Parker serves the Georgetown, South Beacon Hill and south SODO areas. 386-1859, vog.elttaes|rekrap.aivlys#vog.elttaes|rekrap.aivlys
• Officer’s Alphin & McRae share responsibility for the Othello Station, Othello Park, Pritchard and Dunlap neighborhoods.
• If you are not sure to whom you should speak, call the general CPT line: 386-9180.
Welcome Sgt. Martin
We’re proud to welcome Sgt. Ann Martin as the South Precinct Community Police Team Sergeant. Sgt. Martin comes to the South Precinct from the East Precinct where she was a Patrol sergeant and sergeant of the East Precinct’s Bicycle squad. Sgt. Martin is a 27-year veteran of the police department, 17 years of which was spent in the Traffic (Motorcycle) section. Sgt. Steve Daman, the outgoing CPT Sergeant, now leads the South Burglary and Juvenile Detectives section.
New Web Page
The Seattle Police Department’s web page has a new look and new features. Please go to http://seattle.gov/police/ to see for yourself. In addition, the Department has launched new web pages for each precinct. The South Precinct site, http://seattle.gov/police/precincts/South/default.htm, has a wealth of Precinct specific information that is updated on a regular basis. We welcome any feedback you have and look forward to your suggestions as to how we can improve our web presence.
Until next time, Take Care and Stay Safe! Mark Solomon, South Precinct Crime Prevention Coordinator