Meeting Minutes from the Columbia City Neighborhood Meeting
Held: August 28, 2007 at the Columbia City Library
At the meeting, we developed the following three lists of ideas.
1. What do neighborhood groups do?
- Speak independently of (the City) and for residents
- Forum for Community Building (e.g. past efforts kicked-off Beatwalk and the Farmers Market)
- A way for people to come together and problem solve
- Stewards of Neighborhood Plans ( We have a Columbia City, Hillman City Plan)
- Fun, Food, Community & Relationship Building
- Represent the Neighborhood's diversity
- Watchdogs for Public and Private activities
- A way to get opinions heard
- A way to keep informed and exchange ideas
- Look at Micro-issues
- Put out a newsletter/ do community outreach
2. What issues would people like to address?
- SUNI's Pomegranate Center Project
- Traffic: speeding (maybe speed bumps would help)
- Off leash dogs & dog poop
- Changes to zoning (e.g. possible upzoning to multi-family)
- Review Neighborhood Plan
- Invest in Quality Schools to make sure our neighborhoods schools are great
- Disaster Preparations
- A trolley/bus to circulate around the Light Rail Station, Columbia City and other nearby neighborhoods
- Bus Service
- Get sidewalks
- Columbia School site future plans
- Bike Master Plan
- More Block Parties
- Better Lighting
- Neighborhood cleanup (more than once a year)
- Having speakers
- Coming up with a specific issue/activity that motivates
3. How can we better outreach and communicate with our neighbors?
- On paper (a neighborhood newsletter)
- We do have a neighborhood website that is just getting going. It allows people to add to it. It is at ColumbiaCitizens.net.
- phone trees
- yahoo groups
- personal contacts
- getting expertise from other groups for suggestions
Below you will find a link to vote for upcoming meeting times. As soon as we have survey results for meeting times we’ll propose next steps & announce the next meeting.
To help us select the best meeting day and time, Liz has put together the following website where you can vote your preference: